Tuesday 29 March 2016

Fiolia Handwovens Vintage Gem Review



Fiolia Handwovens Vintage Gem
Cotton/ lyocell 285 GSM
1 year and 25 pounds

I was immediately impressed with how soft and airy Vintage Gem was when I first opened it up. The colors feel a bit different and unexpected, robin's egg blue and tones of magenta purple with some creamy nudes.


In hand Vintage Gem is silky soft and smooth. The weave is not dense, but loose and airy, overall it is a light feeling wrap, not weighty. The pattern is a herringbone twill pattern, but not a lot of texture as I ran my hand over, very slippery feeling due to the lyocell content.


 
This wrap will appeal to those looking for more unconventional color combos and the extra depth of hand dyed wefts adds a lovely color shift depending on lighting. The lyocell also adds a slight shimmer. The colors work equally well for cooler and warm seasons in my opinion.


I wore this wrap in FWCC, double hammock different variations, and ruck with my 25 pound wrappee. Drapes beautifully and so easy to work with, passes glide with ease. This is a wrap that needs a slightly more precise wrapper, tightening is easy to start, but you have to be careful to maintain tension well as the wrap has a good slip to it. I would have loved to test this one in Summer, I think the light and airy feel would be wonderful then. I preferred to use Vintage Gem in multi pass carries with my wrappee, rucks had tolerable comfort, but I could definitely feel it in my upper back and shoulders for those longer periods of wearing. For me this was already a soft wrap that got softer and floppier with use. The negative side of how airy this wrap is, the loose weave is pull prone, I had some close calls, though no actual pulls while it was in my care.


If you are looking for a quality, well made handwoven wrap that is light and airy and feels thin in hand with low texture and little to no grip, look no further than Vintage Gem. Very nice and neat selvedges and hems, you can tell the weaver has a good eye for details. What impressed me the most about Vintage Gem though was how tight and smooth I was able to get my chest passes with no bulkiness whatsoever, something I can appreciate both in Winter when I am wearing bulky layers already, and in Summer when I do not want a thick wrap. I do not recommend Vintage Gem to wrappers who don’t like lyocell/Tencel and texture lovers can also pass on this one. I recommend Vintage Gem in your base size for the best support and most comfort. I think this would make a lovely squish wrap, the softness and mouldability is really there for a newborn and it will work well as baby gets older.


 
Thank you to Rini at Fiolia Handwovens for allowing me to test the lovely Vintage Gem.

Join the chatter group on Facebook here.







No comments:

Post a Comment